Lake of the Woods

Lake of the Woods
Advertise with Lake of The Woods

Customs Info

Crossing the Border

U.S. visitors to Canada will be asked to verify their citizenship upon returning to the United States. On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). The rule requires U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Citizens of other countries must have a valid passport and may require a visitor visa.

If you have a felony or misdemeanor arrest (i.e. DWI/DUI ), you should contact Canada Customs at least one year prior to your arrival.

If traveling with children, be sure to have identification for ALL children (i.e. birth certificate, baptismal certificate or passport). Children traveling with someone other than a legal guardian should have written permission from their legal guardian or custodial parent. When traveling with only 1 parent, you should have written permission from the other parent to take the child out of the country.

For more information contact: CBSA (807) 274-3655 ext 239 or 1-888-242-2100, within Canada or 1-800-992-7037 internationally or

G.S.T. Rebate

The Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program (FCTIP) gives non-resident consumers that purchase “tour packages” a rebate of 1/2 of the paid Goods & Services Tax (GST). To be eligible the GST charged must be at least $12 and the non-resident must have paid a deposit of at least 20% of the total price at least 14 days before the first day of accommodation. This tour package is for short-term accommodations with at least one service sold for an all-inclusive price. Please talk to your tourism operator to determine if you are eligible for this rebate.

Goods You May Bring Into Canada

Visitors to Canada may bring certain goods as “personal baggage”, duty and tax free, provided all such items are declared to Customs upon arrival, and are not subject to restriction.

• A reasonable amount of personal items, supply of food (for personal use) and a full tank of gas.
• Gifts not exceeding $60 Cdn for a friend/relative in Canada. This does not include tobacco products, alcohol or advertising material. Gifts valued at more than $60 Cdn are subject to duty.
• Up to 40 oz liquor or 1.5 litres wine or 24X12 oz bottles/cans beer
• Up to 1 carton of cigarettes and 50 cigars and 1 – 200 g can of tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.

You must be 19 years of age to import alcohol and tobacco products into Ontario. Any additional amounts of alcohol and tobacco, other than listed, are subject to duty. There are import limits with regards to beer and alcohol – 5 cases of beer; 45 litres of alcohol. These are the maximum allowable amounts without a permit. Please see for a more detailed list.

For more information contact: Customs Border Services 1-800-461-9999 (within Canada) or (807) 274-3655 or


Dogs and cats entering Canada from the US must be accompanied by a valid rabies certificate, signed and dated by a Veterinarian issued within the preceding 36 months. The certificate must provide a sufficient description and detail, in order to identify the pet. Pups and kittens under three months old do not require a certificate but must be in good health at the time of entry. Visitors from countries other than the US, who wish to bring a pet into Canada, should contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency at (905) 612-6285.


Frozen or salted minnows are allowed. Live earthworms are permitted, but only when packed in artificial bedding (no earth or soil). It is illegal to bring live fish, leeches, crayfish or salamanders into Ontario for use as bait. For more info visit:

Firearms and Ammunition

You may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario for hunting or competition purposes if you are 18 years of age or older. Firearms must be registered for a fee of $25.00. You can also bring up to 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized shooting competition.

All fully automatic weapons, handguns and pepper spray are prohibited.

For more information contact: 1-800-731-4000 or (705) 329-7662 or visit the Canadian Firearms Centre at

Hunting, Fishing and Camping

Hunting & fishing licences are available at any authorized licence issuer (i.e. resort, lodge or bait/tackle shop) or directly from a MNR office. Please ensure that you follow all slot sizes and catch and possession limits allowed under the type of licence you purchase.

To obtain a copy of the current Fishing or Hunting Regulations, contact the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) at 1-800-667-1940 or (807) 274-5337 (Fort Frances) or (807) 468-2501 (Kenora).

Download a copy by visiting

Non-residents of Canada, 18 years of age or older, must have a permit to camp on crown land (government land) in Northwestern Ontario. You can get the permit from most angling license issuer or any MNR office.